Wedding Ceremonies

Marriage Licenses

Prospective couples must apply for and receive a valid New Jersey Marriage License from the Registrar of Vital Statistics before a wedding ceremony can be performed. Payment may be made at your appointment by personal check, money order, cash, credit card, or debit card. Call 732-615-2094 for more information.

Apply for a marriage license.


  • Middletown Mayor - The Mayor performs weddings at Town Hall by appointment only. Call 732-615-2024 for more information. Dates and time must be scheduled in advance.
  • Monmouth County Clerk Christine Hanlon - To schedule a wedding, please call the Monmouth County Clerk's Office at (732) 431–7324. Visit the website for more information. 
  • Ministers and others - Ministers of every religion may marry individuals legally permitted to marry.

State Laws

There are no Justices of the Peace in New Jersey. The following officials may perform marriages in New Jersey:

  • Federal district court judges
  • Judge of a municipal court
  • Judge of a tax court
  • Judge of the Superior Court
  • Judges of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd District
  • Surrogate of any county, county clerk, any mayor or the deputy mayor when authorized by the mayor, or chairman of any township committee or village president of this State and ministers of every religion
  • The former County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, or the former County District Court who has resigned in good standing
  • U.S. Magistrate

Internet Ministers

Internet Ministers may perform marriage ceremonies. It is recommended you check the website for the particular ministry to verify that their ministers are authorized to perform marriage ceremonies.

Visit the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services Vital Statistics and Registry for more information.