Application for Marriage / Civil Union License
Appointments should be made when applying for:
- Civil union
- Domestic partnership
- Reaffirmation of a civil union
Fees & Payment
There is a $28 fee for a marriage / civil union license application. Payment may be made at your appointment by personal check, money order, cash, credit card, or debit card. Please note cash can only be accepted in person. An application for a marriage / civil union license must be physically submitted no later than 72 hours prior to the marriage / civil union event. You may however apply for a waiver of the 72 hours through the Monmouth County Superior Court.
What you should bring with you when you apply for a Marriage / Civil Union License:
- A valid driver's license, state issued photo identification, or a valid passport.
- A witness 18 years or older with valid identification
- Proof of residency
- The $28 application fee
Visit our Wedding Ceremonies page for more details on having your ceremony in Middletown Township.
Application for Certified Copies of Marriage / Civil Union / Birth / Death RecordsPlease make sure when mailing a request form for a raised seal certified copy of a vital record to do the following:
- Fill in the form accurately and completely. Your documents will only be to mailed to the valid address on your current and unexpired identification.
- Enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope (with 2 stamps if 5 or more copies). For shipment via U.S. priority mail, the fee is $5 per shipment.
- Enclose copies of identification with your current address such as a drivers' license, passport, or birth certificate. Visit the Department of Health website to find out what forms of identification are acceptable.
Fees & PaymentPayment may be made by personal check, money order, or cash. Please note cash can only be accepted in person.
- The charge for a certified raised seal copy is $15 per copy, $4 each additional copy of a death certificate.
- The charge for a certified raised seal copy is $15 per copy of marriage / civil union license.
- The charge for an amendment / official correction to birth, death, marriage, civil union, reaffirmation, remarriage, domestic partnership certificate is $25.