Homeowner Fire Prevention Advisory
October 28, 2022
Several fires have occurred over the last week due to a power surge on Wednesday evening. This type of power surge can blow out fuses or trip circuit breakers.
To ensure safety, the Middletown Township Fire Department and Fire Prevention Office encourages residents to inspect their fuse box/electrical panel, which can typically be found in a closet, basement or garage, to ensure it is working properly. First, look for blown fuses. If there’s a visible gap in the wire or a dark or metallic smear inside the glass, this can start a fire.
If you find that your circuit breaker (or the electrical panel box) has a burning smell coming from it, is hot to the touch, or if you notice scorch marks near outlets, appliances or the circuit box, turn off the power to the house and call a professional for emergency service right away to prevent the start of a fire in the home.
If you have any questions, please call the Middletown Fire Prevention Office at 732-615-2272.