Recreation Employment Opportunities
The Middletown Recreation Department offers a wide variety of job opportunities throughout the year. Most positions are seasonal appointments lasting six months or less. On occasion part time and full time positions do become available. Please browse the list below of all open positions at this time.
To apply for a position, download our application. Completed applications may be returned directly to the Recreation Department or to Human Resources. Any Recreation-related applications returned to Human Resources will be forwarded to the Recreation Department.
Applications are accepted at any time.
1 Kings Highway
Middletown, NJ 07748
Medical Staff - Hiring NOW!!
Beach Lifeguard - Hiring NOW!!
Phone interviews are conducted first, followed by virtual interviews.
Lifeguards ensure swimmer and bather safety on Ideal Beach. In this role, lifeguards enforce safety rules, monitor the water for danger, and rescue swimmers. Lifeguards may also determine when bodies of water need to be closed to swimmers. Lifeguards may be required to help assist in social distancing protocols on the beach.
- Maintain constant surveillance of patrons in the designated swim area; act immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of emergency.
- Provide emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- Present professional appearance and attitude at all times, and maintain a high standard of customer service.
- Perform various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility.
- Prepare and maintain appropriate activity reports.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- One of the following certifications are required and are not offered through the township:
- United States Lifesaving Association Annual certification
- South Jersey Lifeguard Chiefs Association Annual certification
- North Shore Lifesaving Association Annual certification
- Ocean Lifesaving Association (Provisional) Annual certification
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Skill in the application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Knowledge of CPR and emergency medical procedures.
- Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
Lifeguards are scheduled in pairs to work Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend. Hours of operation are 10:00am – 4:00pm, Monday-Friday. Required holidays include Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day. Lifeguards will work approximately 5 days per week.
Volunteers help to assist Counselors with the camp by aiding in the set up and clean of a variety of games, crafts and activities.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean and organized.
- Assist Camp Counselors in leading games, taking children to the bathroom, walking children between activities, etc.
- Know and understand all emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce and follow all safety guidelines and the Code of Conduct associated with the camp. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Help in other camp program areas as needed.
- Generally, grade 9 and/or 15 years old.
- Experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field preferred, or a strong desire to go into such field.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
Croydon Hall, Poricy Park, Tonya Keller Community Center
Must be able to attend mandatory staff training dates in June. A variety of options will be available. Due to COVID19, a limited number of volunteers are permitted each week.
Recreation Aide - Hiring NOW!!
Seasonal position available in the Recreation Department at the Poricy Park Nature Center. Primary job functions include staffing the front desk, answering phones, and processing program registrations. Hours for this position are Monday through Friday, 8:30am-3:30pm. Position runs from June through the end of August.
- Providing top notch customer service via phone, email, and in person.
- Processing registrations via Community Pass.
- Receiving mail and deliveries and inventorying/processing as appropriate.
- Working with other members of the staff as a team.
- Assisting with other office tasks as assigned.
Candidate must possess excellent communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills. Excellent computer skills are required, and familiarity with Excel and Community Pass strongly preferred. Must be dependable, flexible and enthusiastic, and demonstrate an excellent work ethic.
Position location is the Poricy Park Nature Center, 345 Oak Hill Road, Red Bank.